Andrea Mates is a coach at Starting Strength Austin. Teaching strength training with barbells is only the latest in a long line of subjects she’s taught in the past 20 years. In 2013 when she nearly dropped her then 3-year-old daughter, she realized she wasn’t strong enough for her mom duties. After reading Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, she taught herself the lifts and became stronger than she ever thought possible. When Starting Strength Austin opened in April 2019, she was recovering from a long illness and joined to be coached back to strength. In October 2020, she became an Apprentice Coach at the gym and completed the Starting Strength Coach credential in November 2021. Andrea has a doctorate in Applied Linguistics from UCLA and bachelor’s degrees in Russian language and Public Policy from Duke.
Personal training at Starting Strength Austin
- Intro sessions to learn the lifts
- One-on-one coaching in a small group format
- Semi-private coaching
Starting Strength Gyms Online Coaching
- Customized programming
- Remote coaching for each of your lifts
- Get stronger or get a full refund
$225/month — No contracts. No fees. Cancel anytime.
Online Coaching Membership Includes:
- TrueCoach Access - Communicate with your coach, access your programming, and upload videos for form checks
- Dedicated Attention - Feedback on your lifts to ensure safe and effective technique
- Individual Programming - Each trainee gets individualized programming to maximize progress
- Nutrition Advice - General nutrition recommendations to help you achieve your goals
- Instructional Videos - To help you perform the lifts in line with the Starting Strength model
- World-Class Coaches - The Starting Strength Coach certification is the most advanced in the industry
- Community - Online trainees are welcome to join Starting Strength Gym member events
- Fair Policies - We don't do what other online coaching services do - no contracts, no hidden fees
Schedule a free phone consultation to discuss your training goals with a member of our Online Coaching team
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
1 Review on “Andrea Mates, Ph.D, SSC”
I’ve been working with Andrea through online coaching for the past 4 months. I had previously run my own Novice Linear Progression. It didn’t last long as I hit different road blocks with my form, my knowledge of how to adjust the programming for my life, and my own limited knowledge of my potential. Andrea has helped me to dramatically improve my form, adapt my programming as I encounter the stress of daily life and advance past the novice level; all the while keeping me motivated to lift. I had high hopes in working with a Starting Strength coach, based on the reputation of the program. Andrea has exceeded all of my expectations.
Should you work with Andrea as a Starting Strength coach? Only if you want to be stronger than you ever thought possible. I have personally PR’ed all of my lifts in 2 months and I’m still adding weight to the bar every week.